Monday 9 February 2009

Victoria Falls, extremely tourist place

When I wake up I don't know even what time is it, today is a free day. Everyone does what it wants. Kasper and Lasse, also known as the "two ladies", they went to do rafting, Mette is ill, she has a fever. So Simon and I we decided to go at down town, looking for an internet point. We're literally besieged, a guy follow us and I don't like at all this situation because here there isn't not even a tourist and at suddenly we're surrounded by at least 7 or 8 people. I tell Simon that it's better to go back, he get my discomfort and we come back without any problem. We find an internet point, but there isn't enough line. We try in another agency, which one where I booked the tour by helicopter this afternoon. Even there, the line comes and goes. The boys in the street are dozens, almost everyone wants to exchange Zimbabwe's dollars with the American ones: in addition to being illegal, their money is often false and worth anything, you can't buy almost nothing. The boys are very insistent. However they tell sad stories and you never know if there are true or not.A boy follows me up till to the lodge to get some t-shirt as a gift for him and his mother. Suddenly, I don't know why, asks me if I know Colin. "Do you speak about Jonathan?" I asked him. "Yes! Do you know him? ". "Shit," I tought, even here the people have to remember him!

In advance, in the early afternoon, the agency's employee comes to pick up me, I'll fly by helicopter over the falls! The policeman slam me over the helicopter with 5 other Japanese. The falls' aerial view is well worth the expenditure of $ 115, though I think we didn't flew 15 minutes as agreed, but perhaps only 10! It was very expensive but it's one of those things you do just once in a lifetime!

The Victoria Falls
2009 © Giovanna Puccia, all right reserved
The Victoria Falls
2009 © Giovanna Puccia, all right reserved
 Before the falls
2009 © Giovanna Puccia, all right reserved




To the dinner we take a taxi (20 dollars return) to "The Boma Restaurant", a typical African restaurant inside in the expensive (200/300 dollars par night) Victoria Falls Safari Lodge. It's a typical tourist restaurant where,  in my opinion, the food isn't so good because they are too strong for my taste. I mean, it's edible. When you enter you have to wear their traditional dress, which are fastened on the left for men and on the right for women. During the evening there are a variety of entertainment, tribal dances, African musical instruments, face painting. Overall, the evening is enjoyable even if $ 40 is really a steal! It's almost a month's pay for this poor souls who work here. I tasted, unaware what it was, the Mopani's worm: this just to make me drop a measly certificate! That sucks, a worm and I don't even know what the Mopani is!

Keep reading... My travel story continues in the next post!
African style

No comments:

Post a Comment