Thursday 5 February 2009

The black Africa: Zimbabwe

Bianca wakes us up with her mighty laugh. Breakfast, disassemblement of the tent again and start. Direction: Zimbabwe, a short distance. We arrive at the border the one between South Africa and Zimbabwe and already we get a taste of poverty that we'll find later... When we cross the customs with our track people look at us as if we were aliens and we do the same with them. We hurry through customs, we take the visa and we wait for our guides. There's poverty everywhere, around only misery, filth and stench.
While we waiting, we're approach by a girl with an old man apparently blind. She carries in her hand a metal cup that she swings repeatedly so as to make us understand is charity she means. She wears an old blue jacket probably belonging to an adult. It's so big it reaches down her knees. The old man is wearing a black jacket all worn out. She sits there, staring us at all the time until Kasper gives her a few coins and tell her to go away: perseverance is rewarded.
The guide tells us that it's strictly forbidden to take pictures police officers, bridges and everything belonging to the government. But I already knew it. Even the people here don't like be photographed because the country's political and economic situation is disastrous and they don't want to provide more information to the press. So as a form of respect for them and for my safety I don't do it. Turism in Zimbabwe is affected by the political situation that reigns in the country. This year I will take less photos than last year, I prefer to remember in my hearts and in my minds every moment. 
We travel hundreds of miles in the middle of nowhere, Zimbabwe is similar, at least for now to Limpopo. Only bushveld. Sometimes some baboons crossing the road. People everywhere. They walk on the roadside for miles on end. Children, women and old men. We arrive for lunch at the Ruins Tembo.

Tembo's ruins in Zimbabwe
Tembo's ruins in Zimbabwe
strange flowers in Zimbabwe
Stop for lunch
Stop for lunch

Do you wanna see all pics taken during the trip in Africa? Then click here



The Great Zimbabwe's ruins are the most important national site in the country. The bird is the national symbol. This is the image of a sculpture found in this site. The site was declared part of the World Heritage in 1986.
After lunch we visit the ruins in about three hours. In my opinion they aren't very interesting. But this year to my surprise I understand almost everything. My English (I'm Italian) it's getting better even if the daily guide speaks a poor English and with a strong African accent.
On the road again and just when I resign myself to camping again tonight, we are get to the Inn at Great Zimbabwe Lodge. Isn't too comfortable but it's better than a tent! And the shower is hot...
I ask the waiter what our location is. We're close to Masing, near Lake Kyle, original Scottish's name. We're almost in the heart of Zimbabwe.
After dinner we're all out of the Takalani's room for a drink. They give me a beer can filled with sherry...  and the party begins!

Keep reading... My travel story continues in the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment