Tuesday 17 February 2009

Relaxation in Malawi


Today is another long trip to Kande Beach, located on the shore of Lake Malawi. We will arrive to our destination after 4 long travelling hours. We are going to stay here for a couple of full days. I decide to pay for a beach hut by adding money to the amount already paid by Drifters for a tent. As a result I need to add 5 more dollars per day. The accommodation is rather basic; even the tent seemed to be better... (instead I couldn't take a better decision considering that every night endless rainstorms make the stay in everyone's tent unbearable).
It's almost 1 a.m., I am going to sleep "late" tonight, after playing billiards, having some drinks and a few good laughs.




17th February 2009  
I woke up with no time bounds and with no plans for the rest of the day. I'm relaxing for awhile on the beach under my umbrella. In the afternoon Simone, Mette and I go for a walk through the village together with a makeshift tourist guide. Dozens of kids latch on to me, some of them ask for my water, others for money, others for photographs and other simply want to give me their hand. They all walk with bare feet, they are poorly dressed and dirty. One of them sucks his thumb and then he holds out his hand to me...
Afterwards we visit the guide's house, a school and a medical centre, all of them obviously up to the Malawian standard of life. The economy of Nkahata Bay is based on fishing and cassava agriculture which employs the majority of the population.
On the way back I decide to donate some clothes to the guide and I haggle over the price of a handmade globe. He is gonna bring that to me tomorrow and still tomorrow I'm gonna pay for it, I don't wanna be diddled this time. No money in advance. 
I have a small meal for dinner because I'm a little nervous, then I wash the dishes with Takalani and Bianca to then catch up all together for a drink at the bar. Subsequently we go to the beach to watch an oncoming rainstorm and the spectacular scenario created by the bolts of lightning while striking onto the lake. I go to bed quite early because everybody seems to be keeping himself to himself tonight.








18th February 2009
Last night it rained in torrents so that there's been an electricity cut. Moreover Bianca has elected pissing me off today because I’m not out to wash the dishes; I haven't eaten anything because the Danes are profiteers, they mop up all the food available not letting anything for other people so I cant see the reason for which I should wash the dishes for them as well! Drop dead! I'll go for a walk before I tell all of them to go to hell! 
I spend the whole afternoon on the beach, in the shadow of a tree talking to Takalani who unashamedly tries it on with me and he keeps passing him off as best African man: unfortunately for him I'm not attracted by him.

Even dinner sucks, it seems like everybody drove me mad on purpose today. Therefore I only have some french fries (in a paper bag), then I rush to the bar to have a double Amarula to forget about this awful day.


Keep reading... My travel story continues in the next post! 



No comments:

Post a Comment