Saturday 14 February 2009

Valentine's Day in Lusaka

Today is Valentine's Day and I'm feeling so bad, but I'm not lovesick, I simply have a terrible stomach ache! I woke up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, just so many times, that I can't even remember. I feel so bad, I am in a cold sweat I only hoe this is not malaria.
We leave very soon direct to Lusaka where we'll have to stop to buy enough water for 4 days.


Lusaka is an ugly and dirty city, maybe the worst I've ever seen, but we won't be stopping here for long, fortunately, just a couple of hours.
At the mall I find everything I need: pharmacy and internet point. Here the money isn't worth the paper it's printed on, they'll give you a mountain in exchange for a few dollars.
Bianca gave us a St. Valentine's gift, a heart-shaped key chain, nothing special, but it was really sweet of her.
Back on the road again, today is going to be another long transfer day.

Somewhere in Zambia
Children in Zambia




Africa means a lot of people in the middle of the road, bicycle and animals crossing at any time. Africa is also about people lifting and waving the stuff they are willing to sell once they here a truck approaching. Africa is the kids who keep smiling even though they have nothing to be joyful for. We arrive at the camp where we should spend the night but we actually have two options: either to sleep in this awful place or to keep travelling for another couple of hours to get to a much nicer place. We didn't need to be asked twice! As agreed we decide to go ahead. Around here there are many children. Bianca suggested us not to give anything to any of them unless we can give something to everyone. They can beat the hell out of each other just for stealing stuff. Here they learn what struggle for survival means since an early age. Two children run after our truck for awhile while greeting us. I can see in their eyes how bad they would like to run away from that miserable place. I've got tears in my eyes. We finally arrive at Mama Rula's in Chipata around 9 p.m. It's a nice and cosy place. It was a good choice to keep holding a bit longer to reach this area. We pitch our tents in the dark and have dinner at the lodge restaurant. We are told that tonight there will be important regional political figures and they are to be considered as V.I.P. even though they look quite wild and rude if compared to who we call a V.I.P. They grab our table assigned places and start eating like crazy, so that we decide we'd better carry on with the night at the bar. The guys offer me a shot but I don't feel good enough yet to get drunk so that I decide to head toward my bed. Chipata, 32,000 inhabitants, is the capital city of the eastern province of Zambia. The city is located near Malawian border, along the way linking the two capitals, Lilongwe (130 km) and Lusaka (550 km). It's also a strategic point to access the South Luangwa National Park where we will go tomorrow.

Keep reading... My travel story continues in the next post! 

No comments:

Post a Comment