Sunday 8 February 2009

The Victoria Falls' thunder

We start in the morning and in about two hours we arrive in Victoria Falls where we find our awful lodge. This ought to be an accommodation as an hotel, but truly it's a dark, spartan and flea-ridden room. The owner greets us with a very clear briefing: don't carry excess money with yourself and keep passport always safe, don't leave bags or valuables near windows, don't open the door to anyone even if they say they are the hotel's staff, because it's a deception, this hotel don't does room service. Great! Shit place and what's more dangerous!

In the afternoon a short road brings us to the Victoria Falls.
The Victoria Falls are one of the seven natural wonders in the world. David Livingstone, Scottish explorer, have been the first European to discover them, giving it the name Victoria in honor of the English Queen Victoria. The indigenous name of the falls is Mosi-oa-Tunya, (that it means "Falls' thunder") which is also the official name in use in Zambia. Even if it's neither the highest nor the widest in the world, the waterfall has a reputation for being the largest. Has a width of 1,708 meters and a height of 108 meters.
We visit in 2 hours, the minimum time needed to admire them from all panoramic view points. They're gorgeous, useless to misspend too many words to describe them. When I go out I'm completely wet! And happy to be! Price to pay for this amazing experience.








In the afternoon we spend our time between the bar and the lodge's pool (pool !?!?...big word). I'm not so brave to swim in that putrid water, I might get sick of bilharzia.

We have dinner early tonight with a good african soup. The dinner is stopped for about half hour from 5 local boys who show us their show: a tourist trap. Eventually, I would like to give their something, but when they ask $ 25 for a cd, I'd like to tell them: go to hell: so it's take advantage!
After dinner, I remain to talk with Takalani and when he asked my tattoos' meaning, so I tell to him my unhappy story. He is comprehensive and very sorry and he tells me that its history is even sadder than mine. I'm go sleep sad tonight...
When all is quiet you can hear the falls' noise right up this far.
At night, yes even at night, you can see the rainbow in the moonlight. I haven't had the opportunity to attend this event, but who has lived them, still remembers them in his dreams.

Keep reading... My travel story continues in the next post! 


No comments:

Post a Comment